Please note: This blog is no longer updated and has moved to a new location: Scott Mark.

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Charity And The JDRF

Many of you probably saw that James McGovern called me out yesterday on his blog. James promises to donate $1 for every trackback he gets to that post.

Is this a noble gesture of charity? Is it really all about calling attention to people out who don't enable trackback? Is it just a queer tactic to boost his Technorati ranking?

The answer for me: who cares?

I don't exactly care because I'm pragmatic, and I'm a huge fan of anything I can do to promote the visibility and mission of the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF). Diabetes has had a huge and personal impact on our family - I have a 6-year-old son who has Type 1 Diabetes. So we are all about the JDRF at our house.

James has previously posted valuable thoughts about what charity means. Charity is a notion of helping others rather than your own kind. It's about directing acknowledgement and benevolence towards others out of empathy rather than pity. I was certainly pleased but even more surprised when I was notified by the JDRF that James had made a donation in our family's name. That was a most unexpected response to my idle mention that he should take a look at the JDRF. Thanks, James. I need to act in a more charitable fashion like that. I might focus too much on things where I benefit more directly.

Some people give away $100 to drive traffic to their blogs. Some people do what they can to foist their faux morality on others and erect barriers to healing the sick. James frequently uses his blog as a bully pulpit to promote various charities.

Where do you fit into the equation?