Please note: This blog is no longer updated and has moved to a new location: Scott Mark.

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Yet More Architecture Podcasts

I posted recently on some architecture-related podcasts... here are a few more thoughts...

  • Tried listening to this podcast on enterprise portals - because I think Gotta is a bright guy in the area of portals and social software. First, how hard do you actually want people to work to listen to your content? I swear I had to go through registration like 5 times, and my lucky reward was getting to listen through embedded Windows Media Player. I'm thinking about the basics here - podcast, RSS feed, MP3s, etc. - you would be surprised how many more listeners you get if you free up the content a little. (Note: these comments are directed at CIO Talk Radio, not Mike.) If someone out there had the patience to get through this, please comment and let me know if I missed enough to go back to it.
  • Maybe this stretches the bounds of both "architecture" and "podcast" but one of my favorite books is available as a stream or download for free. How cool is that!! I'm going to listen again. What a great thing to be involved in - I would love to read a chapter of Code: Version 2.0 when that comes out. Note that you can contribute to that book.
  • Another Burton Group Inflection Point - this time on Skype. Actually a good technical breakdown of the Skype network architecture, things like SuperNodes. A good listen for enterprise folks. Curious why they only let 1 outside person review and publicly report on their encryption practices? You are fully Web 2.0, Skype, and transparency is the name of the game.
  • More RedMonk Radio - episodes 4 and 5 - always good. I am working a podcast idea with these folks that will hopefully come to fruition in the next few weeks... stay tuned.

On the to-do list are some architecture-related shows at IT Conversations. Thinking about Lessig and Joel for starters.

3 Comments:

At 12:08 AM, Blogger Michael said...

I'm glad you liked the new episodes. I'll look forward to more reviews, in particular of IT Conversation ones. I subscribed to that long ago (it was the first "podcast" I listened to), but it got to be too much, so I stopped.

So, it's always nice to get filtering on that stream ;)

 
At 5:56 AM, Blogger James McGovern said...

You are probably aware that many enterprises have hesitancy against using Skype as they have regulatory reasons for wanting to listen in on calls in which skype makes this difficult at best. If they revealed their inner workings, folks in corporate America may attempt to create backdoors into an otherwise secure approach...

 
At 7:35 AM, Blogger scott said...

Right - I wasn't trying to suggest that they be completely transparent about their implementation, but I have heard concern from some enterprise security folks that they can't get enough detail about Skype security architecture (down to the client install - trojan capabilities, etc.) to feel comfortable with it in a large enterprise context.

But Skype has more to address if they want to really play in that area - things like being a Super Node inside a corporate network doesn't sit well (understandably) with a lot of corporate folks.

 

Post a Comment

Trackbacks

<< Home